14 ноября 2004

Arnold and God

August 18, 2003. Сергей (Sergei) enters a dentist office in Metairie, Louisiana - someplace in/around New Orleans. His boat leaves in a few hours, but he received permission to have one of his teeth outted. Only the nice dentist wouldn't do it. "Good tooth," he said. "Two days and I can have you fixed up real nice." A lot of good that will do for the next two week voyage to Africa with chickens. He was nice enough to prescribe some free pain killers which I'm sure was appreciated. And the receptionist allowed him to have the current Newsweek edition.

Friday evening after buying milk and a few things on the way home from school, I was looking forward to an early bedtime so that I could get up and do the transatlantic thing. After checking my email, eating a little more macaroni and cheese (the pan I cooked last Sunday is almost gone - maybe by next Tuesday), and semi-readying myself for bed I picked up that rogue Newsweek and read a few articles. Interesting in a way - the American magazine travels to who knows how many countries and finds its way into the hands of an American.

I've actually never seen any of the Terminator films. Considering the effect they have had on American pop culture, I should probably do that someday. I think my knowledge of Schwarzenegger is limited to how to spell his last name. This was quite a feat back in the third grade - my best friend knew and since I couldn't let him outdo me I learned how. The cover article of the August 18, 2003 Newsweek was about Ah-nuld and whether he had a chance to become governor of California. I suppose that is old news now, but the information contained in the magazine was pretty fascinating. Now I want to see his late-70s documentary Pumping Iron. It seems like it could be one of those diamonds in the rough for teaching a few years down the road. I particularly enjoyed a colleague's quote: "I admire him. Arnold’s not someone you like. You either admire him — or you hate him."

Finishing Newsweek, I picked up a religiousy book off the shelf. It was by Clifford Goldstein, an acquaintance of mine from back in Maryland. I consider him to be in a special class of personal mentors, if you will, that have an incredible depth of knowledge not bounded by their specialty. A mere 142 pages later, I understood the third chapter of John's gospel in a different way. Yes, the popular football sign John 3:16 is found in this passage, but the context is that a respected religious leader secretly believes that Jesus is who He claims to be, but cannot risk ruining his fine career so meets up under the bridge on the far side of town at midnight to avoid being seen. Jesus cuts to the chase and lays out why some downright smart-as-dirt people will be aboard the boat for his kingdom while their pastors and religious leaders won't.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was born on the wrong side of the tracks at a bad time. Yet he has risen to be a significant guiding force of the world's sixth largest economy. That is pretty amazing. Of course, so is winning the Mr. Olympia title seven times. He is the epitome of American ideals. A nobody can become a somebody, if s/he tries hard enough. Possibly the climb up the social ladder can be written off as 'knowing the right people,' but chiseling one's body into the massive beast as Arnold has only comes with excessive daily effort. The Newsweek had a picture of the think tank war-room where the Schwarzenegger advisors conversed. Around the room were numerous photos, trophies, and statues memorializing the man. Any snot-nose wimp can look to Arnold and find an incredible role model, an example of one hard working - and succeeding - dude.

The essence of Jesus' midnight conversation is that in order to get your ticket to heaven (and a really long retirement), all you have to do is admit that you don't know how to run your own life - that you don't know what is best for you. It's the next step that gets me. You have to turn the reins to your life carriage over to the Creator. If you buy into the notion of a Creator and Forever Friend and all that stuff it really shouldn't be that difficult to do. Unless the word independent is in your vocabulary. As illusory as it may be, I tend to think of myself as a pretty self sufficient dude - I've put myself through college with very little debt; I am involved in a semi-long (1 year in two weeks), albeit long-distance at the moment, relationship; I have a computer, apartment, well-paying job (considering cost of living), and a good amount of free time on my hands to boot. And I did it by myself. (Now I just need to get some muscles, make a few movies, and move to California, right?)

Totally unexpected, but my readings complemented each other rather nicely. Two methods of success. Strength and self-dependence. Weakness and total dependence. The contrast between what every American strives to achieve during their life and the essence of Christianity are at odds with each other. And although I can understand and agree with my head why the Jesus way is better, my heart is with Arnold. Hopefully, "I'll be back" before it's "Hasta la vista, baby."
On понедельник, ноября 15, 2004 5:31:00 PM, Anonymous Анонимный said...

Interesting juxtaposition of Schwarzenegger and Christ.
Like half the voters did with Bush, deluding themselves.
Just remember, that when Schwarzenegger found he couldn't control his life himself, he laid it on the Cheneys of the world, so he could be a tool in their control of everything. Just like Christianity, only for the wrong purposes.
Glad you have better mentors, like Cliff.
Wish I could reach him myself.
Also, interesting misdirection at the start there.
For a minute I thought you were Сергей. Part of your novel? -Cave Man

 
On понедельник, ноября 29, 2004 7:58:00 PM, Anonymous Анонимный said...

Nov 29, 2004

Finally read this post. It makes sense to me. Do you want any other reading materials? Keep writing and telling us things we will never find out any other way.

Victor

 

<< Home