02 октября 2004

Sun (солнце)

To my great surprise, the sun was out today. All week long I've had more than my share of rain, but no sun at all. I would say it was great to have a sunbeam hit me between the eyes, but I decided to stay up late last night, so it really wasn't all that great. When I stepped outside I expected warmer weather and was sadly mistaken. Rather crisp. On the topic of temperature: when I first arrived here under a month ago I slept with the windows open at night. Until the mosquitos discovered me. I do like a cool breeze sweeping over me as I slumber, so on my to do list was to get some screen to keep those pesky flies away. In a way I am quite pleased that I was 'too busy' to get that accomplished. The past two and a half weeks I have been cold in my apartment. A few days ago in class I asked how people kept warm. All responded that the heat usually gets turned on around October 15. So I've only got two more weeks left and then I'll be toasty, I hope.

I managed to stay awake and attentive for the first one and a half speakings-to at church this morning. About halfway through the main dude, I just couldn't focus on figuring out what he was talking about. The local church is gearing up for an evangelistic campaign. They rented a nicer space to hold meetings and got a projector. For the hymns this morning a nice nature video was playing in the background with a bouncing ball going over the words. As distracting as the ball was, the musical arrangements made the ball look yummy. Especially on the last song . Lovely keyboardy trumpets playing nice and loud, and at the very end the stupid keyboardist pressed a really high key and cranked the volume up. Needless to say I was only too happy to leave. None of the youth type peoples that I knew were there today either. Last Sabbath I found it interesting that the church poetess got up and recited a piece. I honestly probably only understood ten words of what she said, but it was quite beautiful - both the melodic phrase of words and the tiny old lady with a paper in her hands yet reciting from memory. I should make it a goal to talk to her when I have enough words and ask if I can read some of her works. Then make a nice little book for her or something like that. All churches should have a built in composer or poet to stand up at the end of each service and put forth their latest piece.

Returned to my apartment and had enough time to reheat my борщ, eat, and change. Today's English lesson went fine. I should spend more time thinking of how to discuss the Bible passages I choose. Preparing the handouts takes a long time (and I still had like 7 typos between last night and today's sheets), but having some questions to foster a discussion is necessary. After last night, my interpreter told me that she didn't think her services were needed. She has been at three of the past six meetings and it sounds like that ratio will go down even more. I know there are more things that I am not aware of with regard to the whole K-ELC situation, but I can understand how easily the flagship English Language Center could spiral downwards. I've taught for three weeks already. That equates to six classes with each of six groups of people, six religious themed discussions, six vocab lessons, six pronunciation lessons, and eighteen free talks. People have asked me how I was doing personally, but not offered any help with lessons, visited how I run class, or anything that common sense says a school should do to/for a new teacher. I'm okay with being handed the text book and being told 'teach this,' but what if I weren't? When looked at in that context, I have the ability to shut this school down in short order. I'm not planning on it, but something doesn't feel right about the whole situation.

I decided to hoof it back to my place after class and stop by some sites along the way. Rather by chance I took a cut through street to get to a big park I wanted to see. What should greet my eyes but a store for unlocking and russifying telephones. A few days ago some of the students told me about this place because it is the only store like it in Kaliningrad, but after trying unsuccessfully to give me directions, they said it was too hard to explain. And I found it with my eyes closed and one paw tied behind my back. First thing Monday morning, I'll be back there to break my phone for good. Hopefully they won't catch on that I'm American (and therefore rich) and jack the price up to a special-extra-low-markdown for me. If I pretend I'm dumb it might work. Nah, I'll go with the stupid approach. "Hello, sir. I'd, ummm, like to, ummm, lock your phone. No, I mean unlock my phone. And, uh, thanks for speaking slowly." Not obvious at all - I sound like a true Russian.

<< Home