14 февраля 2005

Valentine's Day

Happy International Lover's Day to one and all! I think this year since I'm out of the country, I'll pick a native valentine. The logical choice would be the grandma who faithfully comes to the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon free talk / Bible discussions.
My Minty Valentine
Since I first arrived she has given me a number of little presents that she made with her very own hands. The most recent was a little red heart that is filled with mint. Last Friday evening she presented it to me after speaking for a few moments about Saint Valentin and the help he so willing gives to all the poor love-lorn chaps once a year. Her instructions were to hang it near my bed so that I would be sure and get a lot of love. Naturally, I turned to the rest of the class (70% female) and asked for volunteers. There weren't any takers.

The week before I was presented with a poem that Elena Tranina, a friend of hers, wrote and translated into English.
Kaliningrad is the noble piece of land;
Made of forest and sea, of precious amber and yellow sand...
We wish you: be healthy,
We wish you: be grand!
It has a nice ring to it. I suppose I haven't seen it in all its nobility yet, but the wish for health came just before the flu epidemic, so I appreciate that.

Her first week back after the new year break, she brought a few copies of Jingle Bells and we all sang a rousing rendition. (I have a recording if anybody is really interested) I believe that her crowning achievement from the comical perspective was when she sang the most famous song in the whole wide world, "Yesterday." By itself it might not have been all that remarkable, but one of the other men - a rough tough sailor - provided the translation into Russian. Fortunately my reflexes were on the quick side and I captured a movie of one verse.

In any event, here I am by myself in my slightly slovenly apartment bedding down with my heart hung nearby for good dreams. Thanks Grandma.

<< Home