22 июня 2005

All ain't well

The countdown is nearly over until the huge celebration in my Russian hometown begins. In less than 5 days all work is supposed to be finished (like that will happen). Last night a most unexpected consequence of fixing the city disturbed me. They decided that the street lights on my street were part of the numerous things around the city that needed sprucing up. As a result instead of it being dark, there is light coming in my window. I don't think the added security is worth the light in my eyes, but this is a big city and what the little man wants doesn't always happen.

Rather than provide all the juicy tidbits of my girlfriend's visit with me in Kaliningrad, I have a few photos up for your enjoyment. If any of them require explanation, please ask and I'll try to clarify. We had a lovely time together in my city, but, assuming you suffered through the last entry, you've heard enough about us so I'll mention just one thing. On Monday, May 29, we went to the zoo. I've never been so it was about time somebody dragged me to it, the oldest zoo in Russia. (Of course the Germans started it and after the war there were only four animals remaining, but those are minor details.) As you'd expect, it was fairly empty on an overcast Monday morning, but we had a great time walking around and looking at the strange animals. We came to the birdhouse and there was no sign on the door stating its hours, so we entered. Up a flight of stairs we went because all the birds were on the second story. Naturally, when we finished looking at the birds we wanted to leave the building, but sadly the door was locked.

Apparently, the bird house was closed for renovation and somebody just happened to be in getting food out when we entered and ascended the staircase. I thought it was pretty funny, and soon Anastasia agreed with me. Fortunately, she spoke Russian and after banging on the door for the better part of an hour, we were freed. But not before we tried to find some other ways to escape. Inside the birdhouse are large cages for the large birds. One door was only closed, but not locked and she opened it. Seeing that it apparently led into an empty cage, she suggested we go out and play 'crazy birds in a zoo cage.' The vacant cage was not really vacant though, a rabid emu was hiding behind a tree waiting to leisurely amble on over and peck our eyes out. Freed at last, the rest of the zoo was not quite as exciting for me: I had been a hostage in a Russian zoo!

I don't like to think this way, but realistically the countdown until my Russian year ends is already underway. Recently, my return flight home for August 23 was confirmed. Only two months left. Have I matured any over the last ten months? I hope not. Growing old is for grown-ups, not kids like me.

On a bird related note, a week or so ago I decided to walk to my school and arrived early. Sitting on a park bench I relaxed for a few moments when a pigeon limped over to me. The poor dude was missing his foot and it looked like he had a peg leg. I had quite a time watching the little gimp hobble around.

I know I've mumbled some words in this vein before, but now I am issuing an ultimatum. From this point onward, my posts will be short. More regular, but short. The reason for this is that I am finally trying to learn a new keyboard layout cold-turkey. We will see how this progresses, but for the sake of my future arthritis, I'd like to make a concerted effort.

And now, a delightful sunny seaside awaits me. But then again so does a grimy floor. I wonder which will win!
On четверг, июня 23, 2005 4:43:00 PM, Anonymous Анонимный said...

Finally, some pictures worth saving. Since they're copyright in Russia, I credit you.

I see at least 3 skulls in the ossuary.

 

<< Home